The Dutch Parliament took a massive step and in so doing, made an even bigger statement.
In my view the statement is multi-faceted:
- No – to Monsanto’s super toxic pesticide
- No – to its water and soil polluting effects
- No – to its ‘non-GM’ crop destroying effects
- No – to Monsanto’s lab engineered seeds of corn, wheet, etc
- No – to Monsanto-induced farmer reliance on these GM seeds
I wonder if South Africa will ever consider such a step. Certainly, it seems an open, honest and balanced public debate on GM food is URGENTLY needed.